Quote:
Originally posted by DA Morgan:
Marc P wrote:
How many Hail Mary's do you have to say, after 6 years in college, using the non-word 'learnt'?

That the priest's don't wish to point out that they are wrong should not surprise you. They are not paid to help you find truth. They are not paid to acknowledge failures and failings. Bet they haven't spent a lot of time talking about the Catholic church's support of Nazi Germany either....

I do not mean here is disparage your religion. You are entitled to your belief and I have respect for people that are truly trying to be good people. But you can not take an objective look at the history of your faith and believe its teachings. Even the version of the 10 Commandments you hold dear is different from that the Jews have. And given that (A) the Jews got it first and (B) it was written in their language ... you ought to be asking yourself what motivated your church to reword them. And did they get God's written permission to do so? Inquiring minds want to know.
My problem with spelling comes from the fact that English is not my mother tongue, not from Hail Mary's.

And actually, yes, the professors (not that many of them were priests, a lot of lay people, women..., I did say "liberal" catholic university), talked extensively about the failings of the catholic church, all the ones you mentioned and many more you didn't. The church ain't perfect, it doesn't need to be for me to live my faith. I agree with liberal theologians that the church can at times be wrong in some of it's teachings. I believe in the core message of the Gospel and the wisdom of most of the teachings of the church, not all. I did say "liberal" catholic.

One of the great theologians and spirituel minds of the 20th century, M. Zundel even went as far as saying that certain parts of scripture do not reflect the mind / will of God, but rather the human limitations of the ones who wrote it. Contrary to what many believe, you can be think and have faith at the same time.

Some of my professors are the very scholars that have worked on the latest translation of the Bible and they have worked with Jewish scholars and you are wrong to say that the 10 Commandments contained in the Catholic version of the Bible is different from that of the Jewish Bible. They are the same. Certain books in the Catholic version of the Bible are not in the Jewish version but other than that, they are the same.

Marc P.