Blacknad wrote:
"Just commenting on the eery likeness of your offer of Prozac as a solution, to the use of Soma as the opiate of the masses"

The phrase "opiate of the masses" as I presume you know refers to religion.

Blacknad wrote:
"You may think Christianity can achieve nothing, but it achieved something for the lives of those people living in Wales during that period."

A period that lasted how long?
That ended because?
That exists nowhere else today. Why?

Blacknad wrote:
"The fact is that atheism has no power at all to change personal morality (in a positive way)."

And why should it? Christianity doesn't either. For every success story you can point out I'll show you a Slobodan Milosevic.

Blacknad wrote:
"From a societal viewpoint, atheists are generally not involved in helping the economically and socially disadvantaged."

Nonsense. Utter and complete nonsense.
Ignoring what I have personally done. A friend of mine just got back from Guatemala donating her time, and that of her two 20-year-old children, to work at a medical facility. They were involved in helping more than 1400 people receive surgery and dental care. Would you like a longer list? I'll put my list up against yours any day of the week.

People do not behave well or poorly because of their religion. Religion has had essentially no effect on behavior. We all do good and bad things every day. And then we justify them, or absolve ourselves of responsibility as we see fit. Your method is Christianity. Someone else's method is vodka. In the end nothing is different except that one involves claiming the Easter Bunny, the tooth fairy, and Santa Claus were involved and keeps lying to children.

DA Morgan