Quote:
Yes. However we decided our accelerator only causes the mass to gain 1 in the negative direction (ie lose 1).

I dont consider a gain in momentum a loss in momentum.
I only consider that the mass gains momentum as it is pushed down the accelerator.

it might accelerate in the negative direction in respect to the entire system but it is not a loss of momentum.

Quote:
After the 1st turn:
The mass has momentum +1
The pipe has momentum -1
The total momentum is +1 + -1 = 0

well when I use momentum I mean momentum.
something that is not moving has no momentum.

it appears that when you use momentum you cant decide what momentum is.

what does the sentence below mean to you?

The pipe has momentum -1

knowing that a momentum of -1 would be saying that the pipe is moving in the negative direction with a magnatude of 1

from what I can tell AFTER the 1st turn the pipe would stop.

are you saying that the pipe would not stop after the 1st turn?

Quote:
while the mass travels through the 1st turn its momentum
changes from -1 to 0 through the 1st half of the 1st turn.
then as the mass travels from half way through the 1st turn until it finishes passing through the 1st turn the mass
changes its momentum from 0 to +1

I agree

its obvious that you agree that the mass will pass through the 1st turn , so if you are trying to say that the pipe will go from a +1 momentum to a -1 momentum then you are just wrong.

and what I mean above is that you would be saying that the pipe itself would go from a
+ direction with a magnatude of 1
to a
- direction with a magnatude of 1

a mass with a momentum of 1 cannot create 2 momentums
that are equal in magnatude in a collision.

what is happening in the 1st turn is that as the mass passes through the 1st half of the 1st turn the mass transfers 1/2 of its momentum force to the pipe.
and
as the mass passes through the 2nd half of the 1st turn the mass transfers the other 1/2 of its momentum force to the pipe.

and
as the mass passes through the 1st half of the 1st turn the pipe transfers 1/2 of its momentum force to the mass.
and
as the mass passes through the 2nd half of the 1st turn the pipe transfers the other 1/2 of its momentum force to the mass.

in a collision momentums are transfered from one body to the other.

so the pipe stops.

it may even be that the mass doubles its momentum as it passes through the 1st turn.

and the mass would then have a +2 momentum.

this way momentum would be conserved.

because it started with 2 units of momentum only in different directions and because the pipe is moving towards the mass the pipe may accelerate the mass even further as the pipe stops.

yes I think that is what would happen.

then the mass free floats to the 2nd turn.

then the mass with a + direction and a magnatude of 2
passes through the 2nd turn and causes the pipe to have a momentum in the + direction and 1/2 of the mass momentum is transfered into the pipe and the mass decelerates through
the 2nd turn and ends up with a -1 momentum.

this makes much more sense.

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.