So now we agree that IT CANNOT WORK WITH ONE MASS!!

thats what I have been trying to say all along , but you insisted on using only 1 mass.

actually below is where this all started
#34660 - May 31, 2010 01:46 PM
Originally Posted By: paul
why do you need to throw something outside the ship?
why not just throw it out inside the ship.

the same reaction would occur.

and you still have your propellant.

#34769 - June 07, 2010 12:12 AM
Originally Posted By: kallog
Yea you're mostly right. You can cause movement of a closed pipe, or change the speed of a spinning space station by moving things around inside. This is exactly what physicists already know.

BUT! It isn't sustainable, so you can't actaully travel and useful distance.

And here was the begining of the 20 masses being accelerated only I used 20 people.

#34885 - June 10, 2010 11:11 AM

Quote:
If he kicks off with a tiny force, then he spends a long time floating back down. So the pipe keeps on moving backwards slowly for a long time. In the end, the distance (velocity * time) is the same and it's all back where it started.

yes but if there are other people climbing up the ladder , the
tiny force that he applies will be overcome by the larger forces.

so if you have 1 person stopping at the end and 20 climbing
and 20 floating back.

20 larger forces -------------------->
and 1 tiny force <-
and 1 person stopping<--

so you have the force applied by 20 people
vs the -force of 1 person as he reaches the end plus the tiny force he applies to return , and the tiny force cancels out when he gets there.

#35029 - June 17, 2010 11:21 PM
Now I've shown no long-term movement with 2 masses, you can expand the calculation for 20 masses. But why 20? Why not 10? 100? 2?

I went back and followed this discussion in its original thread and after many many many times of me insisting that the system uses 20 masses accelerating and 1 mass in the (-) turn and 1 mass in the (+) turn , you kept having trouble with the system.

Quote:
quote:paul
lets drop all the confussing stuff.

we now have 1 mass and thats all.

so I did lower the 20 accelerating masses to 1 accelerating mass.

with the intention of later replacing the 19 that I removed
because it was too confusing for you to follow.

so since I removed them I replace them.

surely you can now follow using 20 accelerating masses
most likely you could follow before using 20 accelerating masses but in order for your side of the discussion to leverage an advantage you knew it had to be lowered to only 1 mass and never more than 1 mass.

now I suppose my question to you is.

do you think you can follow using 20 accelerating masses?

you can even make your program to show the amount of momentum added to the pipe using the 20 accelerating masses and then the amount of momentum added or subtracted from the momentum of the pipe as a single mass passes through both a (-) and a (+) turn.

I dont need a program as I would just think of it as if the 20 masses were already being accelerating.

the same force is being applied to each of the 5 kg masses.

there are 20 being accelerated.

each mass is being accelerated to 40 m/s

the same force that is applied to the 20 masses by the accelerator is also being applied to the pipes only in the opposite direction.

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.