Quote:
You still don't know what magnitude means? Why don't you look things up instead of forcing yourself to remain confused?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Momentum

Quote:
In classical mechanics, momentum (pl. momenta; SI unit kg·m/s, or, equivalently, N·s) is the product of the mass and velocity of an object (). Like velocity, momentum is a vector quantity, possessing a direction as well as a magnitude.

in the above what do you think the product is?

I know what the magnatude is , but we decided to use symbols such as +1 or -1 or 0 in lieu of using actual momentum such as 4000 kg m/s
so when I say +1 I mean 4000 kg m/s in the + direction.

Quote:
I a 1D elastic collision:

I say - total momentum before = total momentum after

You say - sum of magnitides of momentums before = sum of magnitudes of momentums after.

kallog the sum of magnatudes is the total momentum.

Quote:
Or get two coins and slide them against each other on a smooth table top.

you would like that wouldnt you , two exact sized coins and propel them at the exact same speed towards each other.

that would prove that you would get a reversing pipe , but dont forget that the pipe is 1000 kg and the mass is 100 kg

and the mass has a speed of 40 m/s and the pipe has a speed of 4 m/s

the total momentum before the first turn is 8000 N.s

4000><4000

quite a difference there kallog ,

if the two were meeting head on they would bounce off as in your coin bouncing trick.

but thats not the case here , the mass is being propeled through a turn.

this causes the pipe with a speed of 4 m/s to stop.
and since the mass with a speed of 40 m/s is not stopping because it is traveling through a turn the mass is accelerated to an even higher speed by the momentum of the pipe.

before you had 4000><4000
now you have 8000< and 0

so the mass is now traveling at 80 m/s
so its momentum has doubled.

100 kg x 80 m/s = 8000 N.s

however it complies with conservation of momentum
and all other physical laws.

this isnt school book stuff but that is probably why you cant find it on the internet and why people just dont understand it when they come across it.

I dont understand why you cant understand this however unless your just trying to get people to think it wouldnt work so that you can become the inventor of it.

think of it as a backwards gravity assist only that in this case the mass is not being accelerated by a pull of gravity it is being accelerated by a push of the pipe as it makes its way through the turn.

in the above the green planet is moving in the direction of the arrow.
the spacecraft is being pulled toward the planet as it makes the turn.
this accelerates the spacecraft.

so just think of the pipe moving in the same direction as the planet is moving , there really is no difference between a pull or a push , and the mass cant tell a difference either.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravity_assist

Quote:
Suppose that you are a "stationary" observer and that you see: a planet moving left at speed U; a spaceship moving right at speed v. If the spaceship has the proper trajectory, it will pass close to the planet, moving at speed U + v relative to the planet's surface because the planet is moving in the opposite direction at speed U. When the spaceship leaves orbit, it is still moving at U + v relative to the planet's surface but in the opposite direction, to the left; and since the planet is moving left at speed U, the total velocity of the rocket relative to you will be the velocity of the moving planet plus the velocity of the rocket with respect to the planet. So the velocity will be U + ( U + v ), that is 2U + v.

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.