Pretty much every one of the Geek's comments in the 2nd post (#35758) of this thread, is wrong. After weeks of argument with the Geek, something akin to bashing one's head against a wall, just to prove his first claim wrong, his line 3, I decided I couldn't be bothered any more.

However, I recently decided that I should once again take up the task of pointing out his errors.

We move on to his lines 5 & 6.

Originally Posted By: preearth
Like a bullet rips through the skin of an apple, leaving most of the skin unscathed,...
Originally Posted By: ImagingGeek
There is no smiley that can express my derision at the stupidity of this statement.
The evidence: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjUTZH_Vdxs

Relevant time point is 0:47 onwards. Unscathed skin is nowhere to be found.

This is another example of the Geeks misleading replies

In fact, there is no smiley that can express my derision at the unscientific nature of the Geek's reply.

POINT ONE; Even though the Geek ignores it, the velocity of the projectile is important. For example, a bullet travelling near the speed of light would split the apple into subatomic particles. The Geek shows you what a high velocity bullet does to an apple.

Here, is a video of a slightly slower bullet hitting an apple;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zV4X_O_Rrrs

where most of the skin is unscathed (i.e., still recognizable as skin and, in this case, the unscathed skin has not even split into pieces).

Another example of this type of thing, is a bullet hitting a human skull. The bullet rips through the skull, leaving most of the skull (and skin, etc) around the entry wound unscathed,... Same basic idea.

POINT TWO; The Geek's claim that "Unscathed skin is nowhere to be found." is, of course, false.

Even in this instance of a high velocity bullet, the apple skin is still recognizable as apple skin. It has just been split into pieces, just as the continental crust was still recognizable as continental crust, and was just split in pieces (called continents, which then expanded apart).

Earth formed from a collision
www.preearth.net

Plate-tectonics is wrong
www.preearth.net/plate.html