ImagingGeek,

The Earth’s mass is basically constant as I stated in my earlier post. And yes, from a great distance any variation in the Earth’s surface gravity could not be detected. However, your statement that there can only be small variations in surface gravity is incorrect. Depending on the amount of core(s) movement, there can be considerable changes in surface gravity; hence the theorized reason for large terrestrial and sea life.
Yes, today’s variations in surface gravity are being measured but these are not due to core movement but variations in crust and mantle densities. I have bypassed your comments on the scenario with no core movement and proceeded to the your statements concerning a shifted core (or cores).

Your wrote:
“Now, what about a shifting core? Once again, I would remind you that the earths mass, and thus total gravity, is constant. As such, all that can happen is the relative amounts of gravity felt on specific points of the surface can change.”
I agree.

“In the case of a shifting core, it is going to shift to correct an inequity in the earths mass”
No, it will shift to correct “rotational mass” or moment of inertia. For example, a movement of equal continental mass to each of the poles will have little or no effect on core movement but movement of that total mass to the equator would. It is the radius or distance to the rotational axis for the shifted mass that is significant.

“This will reduce the gravity felt on pangea and increase the gravity felt in the oceans.”
I agree.

“Assuming equilibrium is met (i.e. the earths center of mass is returned to its center of rotation), and the earth remains spherical, the gravity on the surface will be equalized - as in pangea will experience exactly 1.0G, and the ocean side will experience 1.0G.”
No, the shifting of the core(s), and therefore the shift in center of mass, has created the equilibrium. The center of mass will not coincide with the center of rotation. As long as Pangea remained basically intact, the differential surface gravity would remain the same.

Again, the reason why the oversized dinosaurs and sea reptiles and pterosaurs were able to develop was this lowered surface gravity and the reason they were gone near the K-T boundary was the rapid increase in surface gravity resulting from the breakup and dispersal of Pangea.

“Or, in other words, the tiny gravitational distortion formed by the thicker crust on the pangea side will be eliminated.”
See above explanation.

Laze