Originally Posted By: preearth
ImagingGeek:

I found a copy of the paper on the author's web-site.

It varies slightly from the one at iccarus, none the less
Originally Posted By: preearth
I have read the paper thoroughly.

As I suspected, the paper you quoted does NOT claim that the proto-Earth-Theia collision released 10^24 Joules.

Funny that, seeing as the data is integral to table 1 and figure 11. Funny, as well, in that they extensively quote the original calculation [Nature 412, 708-712 (16 August 2001)].

I guess you should have read more closely, and perhaps tried using some of those math skills you claim to have.

Originally Posted By: ImagingGeek

Why so I did. And in this case I have made a mistake - 10^24kJ is the impact energy.

But my mistake still doesn't help you none:
1) You're imaginary impact is still several orders of magnitude greater than the one which formed the moon (10^4 times greater, to be exact)

2) Your hypothesis has been completely disproven by at least two publications, which you insist on ignoring:
McElhinney, M. W., Taylor, S. R., and Stevenson, D. J. (1978), "Limits to the expansion of Earth, Moon, Mars, and Mercury and to changes in the gravitational constant", Nature 271: 316–321,

http://www.eos.ubc.ca/~mjelline/453website/eosc453/E_prints/1999RG900016.pdf

And here we see the fundamental difference between the scientific approach (i.e. mine) and the kook (your) approach - I own upto my errors, and correct for them. The kook (i.e. pre-earths) approach is to whine about minutia, and to ignore contradictory data.

Now, pre, do you have the guts to actually address those two papers which DIRECTLY DISPROVE YOUR HYPOTHESIS?

Better make it quick - I leave for the cottage in ~14 hours for four days of fishin, swimmin' and bbqin'.

Bryan

UAA...CAUGCUAUGAUGGAACGAACAAUUAUGGAA