Originally Posted By: Bill S.
As a junior member, it grieves me to witness more senior members resorting to ad hominem attacks and the use of bold type and capitals, that must be tantamount to shouting. However, there are a couple of, perhaps naïve questions I would like to ask Preearth.

1. I take the point about the bullet and the apple, but would the outcome not be rather different if the radius of the bullet happened to be about 90% of that of the apple? Furthermore, if both were around the same density as the apple, I suspect the outcome would be more like apple sauce than an enlarged apple.

2. “The planetary fusion probably took less than a day…….This rapid cooling was due to the new lava being immersed in the water of the oceans.” Surely an impact of this magnitude would vaporise any surface water, and your timescale would not allow for the reformation of oceans. How, then, could the new lavs be immersed in water?

Welcome to the thread, bill. Don't worry, you'll soon be writing ALL IN CAPS, and in bold, AND SOMETIMES BOTH.. Its called frustration...

To come back to the apple example, pre's original example doesn't even stand upto scrutiny. An apple, shot with a bullet, explodes:

Video, relevant time point is 0:21

And you are 100% correct; scale up the size of the "bullet" and you'll end up with something between apple sauce and apple juice.

I didn't even think of the vaporizing water thing.

Bryan

UAA...CAUGCUAUGAUGGAACGAACAAUUAUGGAA