Originally Posted By: preearth
Originally Posted By: ImagingGeek
Which is in disagreement with the study I based my number on, which predicted a collision of 10^24 J.... However, the 10^24 joule estimate is newer (2004 vs. 1998), and gives the ~7 orders of magnitude value:

Canup, Robin M. (April 2004). "Simulations of a late lunar-forming impact". Icarus 168 (2): 433-456

[b]I don't believe you.

I don't believe that Robin Canup would say anything that stupid.

You just make this stuff up,... don't you?

I read the Canup paper about a year ago and I would have remembered any totally crazy result like your claim of a "collision of 10^24 J," for the proto-Earth-Theia impact.

If you read it a year ago, why don't you read it again? Then we don't have to rely on your fairly selective memory.

BTW, still waiting for you have have the balls to deal with two papers which directly refute your claims:

McElhinney, M. W., Taylor, S. R., and Stevenson, D. J. (1978), "Limits to the expansion of Earth, Moon, Mars, and Mercury and to changes in the gravitational constant", Nature 271: 316–321,

http://www.eos.ubc.ca/~mjelline/453website/eosc453/E_prints/1999RG900016.pdf

Not too surprisingly, you keep dragging up red herrings to avoid the fact that your hypothesis has been throughly and totally discredited.

Bryan

UAA...CAUGCUAUGAUGGAACGAACAAUUAUGGAA