Originally Posted By: preearth
Originally Posted By: ImagingGeek
The amount of gravitational potential energy lost (and therefore transformed into some other form of energy - heat, elastic, kinetic, etc) when your two planets merge - starting with them in contact, ending with them fused into one - is 5.95 X 10^31 J..... Add that to the 5.95 X 10^31 J and you get... 5.95 X 10^31 J.

Given that you seem to be too intellectually challenged to understand exactly what potential energy is and why this number, 5.95 X 10^31 J, is not the energy released "when the two planets merge - starting with them in contact, ending with them fused into one," I will humor you for the moment and accept it.

LOL, you keep making this claim, and yet consistently have not been able to support it. Why is the argument wrong? And, for that matter, where does the gravitational potential energy go? It exists, after all.
Originally Posted By: preearth

By the way, I can't believe that after all the explanation given elsewhere,... you still don't understand this.

So, ImagingGeek believes the PreEarth-Heaven collision releases 5.95 X 10^31 J.

Originally Posted By: ImagingGeek
Remind me again, how does the earth and its continents survive an impact several orders of magnitude larger than the one that formed the moon? (Later you specify ~6 orders of magnitude greater).

Here is a quote from the page http://www.ucl.ac.uk/es/research/planetary/undergraduate/bugiolacchi/moonf.htm

"Other calculations were carried out and a figure of 3 x 10^38 erg was estimated for the energy release of a Mars-sized projectile (Theia) impacting (proto-Earth) at 10 km/s."

So, Roberto Bugiolacchi states that the proto-Earth-Theia collision releases 3 x 10^38 erg = 3 x 10^31 J.

Which is in disagreement with the study I based my number on, which predicted a collision of 10^24 J. If Bugiolacchi is correct, than the difference is ~1.5 fold. However, the 1024 joule estimate is newer (2004 vs. 1998), and gives the ~7 orders of magnitude value:

Canup, Robin M. (April 2004). "Simulations of a late lunar-forming impact". Icarus 168 (2): 433–456

Either way, it doesn't help you much - you've still got an impact on the scale of the one the produced the moon an liquefied the earth. Whether you're ~1.5X or ~107X over that value is immaterial - either way the continents on your pre-earth don't survive the impact.

And you've still been too much of a coward to address the real question - how do you account for these two studies which confirm that earth has never undergone significant expansion in its size:

McElhinney, M. W., Taylor, S. R., and Stevenson, D. J. (1978), "Limits to the expansion of Earth, Moon, Mars, and Mercury and to changes in the gravitational constant", Nature 271: 316–321,

http://www.eos.ubc.ca/~mjelline/453website/eosc453/E_prints/1999RG900016.pdf

Lets see if you got the balls to deal with that inconvenient fact this time.

Somehow I doubt it.

Bryan

Last edited by ImagingGeek; 08/23/10 02:42 PM.

UAA...CAUGCUAUGAUGGAACGAACAAUUAUGGAA