Rob,

Christ tells me to consider other?s needs before my own ? if everyone did this, the world would be a very different place. He tells me to turn the other cheek and to make no enemies but to treat those who call me an enemy with love and respect. I am commanded to forgive others endlessly and to give (freely and with no thought of reward) to those who are in need. I am told to treat material goods as of fleeting and little value.

In effect, the message is to value others. Any Christian who does not do this to all others is gravely mistaken.

This message is in stark contrast to the message of contemporary Western culture where I am urged to put myself before others.

Television is the greatest teacher of ideas and attitudes ? billions of pounds spent on advertising attest to this.

Televisions message through advertising (and therefore a picture of what humanity values and is telling itself) is as follows:

I don?t drive the right car,
Or have a big enough house - with enough appliances.
My clothes aren?t new enough or stylish enough,
My hair isn?t the right colour or shiny enough or even strong enough ? split ends are a disgrace, as is dandruff.
My white?s aren?t white enough.
My skin is too wrinkled and not tanned enough.
I don?t holiday in the right places or eat at good enough restaurants.
I am too fat or just the wrong shape.
I don?t eat enough fast food.
I don?t have enough debt.
My breasts aren?t big enough.
My teeth aren?t white enough or are too crooked.
My lipo hasn?t been sucked enough.
I am not famous enough.
And on?
And on?

This is what we think is important today.

I believe that when we bury our spiritual nature we create a vacuum that has to be filled with something (see above).

In my opinion this world will not be a better one if it is entirely atheist.

Regards,

Blacknad.