Originally Posted By: Orac
....and lets see where you go next.

I wish I knew! smile Possibly good to get this distraction out of the way first.

QED describes the strong, weak and electromagnetic forces in terms of exchanges of messenger particles. It seems reasonable, therefore, to use the same description for gravity, although the graviton, which would be the messenger particle, has not yet been found.

A quantum theory of gravity would necessitate the reality of gravitational waves which, like gravitons, have not yet been observed. There is indirect evidence of the existence of gravitational waves, and if they exist, it is reasonable to consider the graviton as an excitation of a wave in the gravitational field.

An electron is considered as being surrounded by a retinue of virtual photons, constantly appearing and disappearing, and the energy of this combination is calculated as going to infinity in the case of each electron. In the same way, every matter particle must be considered as having a similar retinue of gravitons, the energy of which would go to infinity.

A serious consideration here is that, unlike photons, gravitons would interact with other gravitons. This means that any situation involving loops escalates into multiple loops-within-loops. The energy of each of these loops goes to infinity, so in each case infinities are multiplied - infinitely.

Is this an impediment to finding a quantum theory of gravity?

Renormalization is the standard method of dealing with infinities in these calculations, but that is nothing more than the dubious practice of dividing “both sides” by infinity. As a non-mathematician I can do no more than acknowledge that renormalization seems to work, and is valuable in making progress, but how far can that progress go?

There never was nothing.