Yes and more importantly if you cool anything to absolute zero it would collapse, something that worried science in the 1920's with the universe temperature at 3K smile

So it is basically a statement of stability and QM still persisting even at absolute zero and hence the pressure remains and things don't collapse. QM even predicts how these things behave together as a solid and apart in so called Bose-Einstein condensates.

Some of the brighter students who haven't yet encountered QM but doing classical binding theories will often ask this question.
"Can Absolute zero temperature, cause the formation of a black hole?"
If you look carefully at what they are studying the reason for the question is obvious, and you sometimes get the next question.
"Is there such thing as Absolute hot temperature?"

Quantum physics formally sets infinitely negative to infinitely positive temperature range. The spin system in matter stops matter reaching either infinity. To beat the natural limits requires rather exotic experimental setups which has been done in the lab at least for colder than absolute zero. Such things are "toys" to prove things they could never occur naturally.

If time ever did stop you should now be able to work out what would happen to the universe or at least all the matter in it. Ponder for example people who want for time to really stop at the event horizon of a black hole, they do not really understand the implication smile

I would hope you also get why materials may expand or contract as they are cooled and you alter the balance of the opposing forces. Classical science long struggled with water expanding as it was cooled, they got that water changed into a hexagonal form but could never fully understand why. It also required a bit of hand waving (and sometimes funny wrong) as to how ice could generate massive forces to expand and explode glass containers in freezers etc. Today we know those forces can reach a mind numbing 300 Mega Pascals and what they are.

If you are interested in the classical version
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_thermal_expansion

Explaination in classical physics
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interatomic_potential

However note the warning at the bottom
Quote:
Classical interatomic potentials cannot reproduce all phenomena. Sometimes quantum description is necessary. Density functional theory is used to overcome this limitation.

I must say I am impressed that you are not only understanding the details but are able to extend and work out things that aren't explicitly stated. You are not jumping at individual new facts but looking careful how and if that fact fits into a framework, a sign you really are getting it.

Again my message is simple, QM is not an addition bolt on to classical physics but that classical physics is a sometimes valid simplification of a QM universe. None of this stuff is hard to understand it is only the mathematical calculations that are intense and why we still teach classic physics.

Last edited by Orac; 08/18/15 06:04 AM.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.