Originally Posted By: Orac
I wouldn't waste my time discussing static back holes unless you first convince me how one could form or that there is evidence of one.

No way! I can’t see how they could be a physical reality. I just wanted to be sure that if we were talking about singularities, they were ring singularities.

Quote:
Lets start with the a simple one which is the formula for induction in electricity .... V=L(di/dt). That says voltage induced across a coil equals the inductance multiplied by the change in current, divided by the change in time. If the change in time goes zero the voltage produced goes to infinity.

That formula is correct to all know values and you see it in your car ignition system, all switch mode power supplies and most TV's and monitors where breaking current flowing in an inductor is used to create very high voltages and usually even extended higher by use of transformer as the inductive component.

Therefore, voltage can be infinite for a period of no time. I have difficulty making a distinction between something that happens for a period of no time, and something that does not happen at all. Infinite voltage is evidently theoretically possible, but is not possible in our 3+1 dimensional Universe.

Quote:
Theoretically if you could open a switch instantly with (dt=0) you would and could perfectly insulate you would indeed generate infinite voltage. This is point I am trying to get you to think about infinities require theoretical conditions that can not exist in the real world. The fact a theory or law predicts an infinity does not mean it exists.

This is exactly what I have been criticised for saying for years. smile

Quote:
We saw just the subtle change of rotation changed what GR said about the singularity. GR is just another physics theory that predicts an infinity, for me I don't expect the infinity to ever be realized because I think there will be a number of factors in the real world that stop it.

The major one being that the “real world” which we experience is finite, so cannot “contain” infinity.

Quote:
Hence I don't take all the hype and ventilation over gravity singularities too seriously, I would need to see experimental results saying it exists in reality.

Good luck with that. smile

There never was nothing.