Paul as you are asking semi-intelligent questions I will respond

Originally Posted By: paul
1) a single electron carries either a negative or a positive charge.

An electron only ever carries negative charge there is an antimatter equivalent of an electron called a positron that carries positive charge. A layman would most run across those if they were ill an in hospital with a Positron emission tomography scanner or PET scanner for short. In normal matter the positive charged particle is called a proton.

Even in that basic statement there are lots of problems for your Paul science such as the existence of antimatter, why different particles for each charge smile

2) does a graviton carry a charge?

It depends on what you mean by charge. In the strict electrical sense, no as charge is a very specific term of an electric field. However sometimes layman don't mean it explicitly in an electrical field and in that sense it is a form of charge. I prefer the word "statistic" for layman because it doesn't tend to lead layman into confusion as they have no precise understanding of statistic. So an electron carries an electrical statistic and a graviton would carry a gravitational statistic.

3) does the graviton get its charge from the single electron if the graviton gets its charge from the single electron?

No Paul gravitons have no real relationship to electrons they are related in only that they are particles in physics. So for layman apples and oranges have the same relationship they are both fruit.

4) does the graviton carry the same charge that the electron carries if the graviton carries a charge?

Repeat of above question an no they aren't directly related

5) does the thing carry a charge?

Repeat of question again

Quote:
6) when the graviton gives the thing mass what form of mass does the graviton give the thing.

The gravitron doesn't really physically give a "physical thing" it provides a force that you measure as mass. Lets see a layman would see a magnet do the same thing providing a force without actually transferring anything.

The mass is provided by the force, talking about virtual mass or real mass makes no sense. I think you were thinking something solid and physical was exchanged it isn't.

Quote:
7) where does the graviton get the mass that it gives to the thing?

It doesn't its simply a force between and object and a patch of space so in that respect not really different to the old school classical version of gravity.

Quote:
8) if gravity = energy and momentum then why are you giving mass to the thing?

Anything with energy in a section of space creates gravity. The addition of momentum is done because there are things that only move at the speed of light but have a property that loosely translates as mass. That addition has nothing to do with GR/QM it was classical physics that added that trying to cover a bit more ground. Again here we don't really use those terms scientifically we use them only in trying to simply this stuff down for layman.

Quote:
9) if mass no longer has a function in QM and is replaced by energy and momentum why do you even mention mass at all?

Again you got that statement completely wrong. So correcting it, mass is created in space anywhere that energy exists in both GR and QM. It is not optional but demanded under both frameworks..

I will ignore the last stupidity but to say it is a bit rich from a guy who can fit billions of animals and dinosaurs on a boat ... now that was a good movie smile

Last edited by Orac; 12/13/15 04:04 AM.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.