Originally Posted By: Bill S.
In order to move towards a QT of gravity, would we not have to consider what Strassler refers to as “quantum waves” in a gravitational field?
How else would we explain gravitons, which would seem to be essential to quantum gravity?

Yes everyone has tried but there are some very obvious problems and the reasons.
I will offer a general view on the underlying issues, consider it personal not a science consensus view.

QM mathematics and formulation is very exact and there is only one solution you saw that in above discussion.
However the issue is the solution doesn't resemble the classic world so it cause interpretation issues with the classical world.
You just ran thru that above where the world under QFT looks very different to our perceived world.

GR unfortunately is not so exact there are actually many solutions to it's equations.
I would strongly recommend you looking at exact solutions to GR article
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exact_solutions_in_general_relativity)
The point is that GR may be considered a kind of compatibility condition not a specific solution.

I was trying to get you to look at the stress-energy-tensor because it shows you the problem of multiple solutions.
It isn't well covered in science media and the same with dark energy, I think largely due to resistance to GR in the past.
You can have fun with those who rely on Science magazines and don't know the background if you are mean smile
I was hard on Bill G/Rede because they made out what they said was scientific and it simply wasn't, it was more like Marosz.
I may have been brutal to someone else over infinity smile

If you want a comparison here is a list of the current wiki exact solutions in QM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_quantum-mechanical_systems_with_analytical_solutions
There are probably many more in literature and on the internet.

QM can not be refined it gives just one answer, GR gives many and in a nutshell that is the problem to me.
So to me we are only going to progress by finding the exact solution to GR or some observation pops up to show us the way.
QM science can and does construct many theories that are compatible with GR but it would come down to luck in finding the right one.
I think string theory is an expression of that and why it offers seeming limitless candidates.

It's up to you but armed with that background it might be interesting to look at traditional GR gravity waves under different stress-energy tensors.

Last edited by Orac; 07/15/15 07:00 AM.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.