Originally Posted By: Orac
Originally Posted By: Bill S
In QM, energy is well defined, so it cannot be created. This leaves a problem explaining how gravity creates gravity.
We went thru that under QFT it will be spin 2 boson and will self interact as well as a number of predictable properties but there are things not predictable which needs more theory. So we know why and how it creates more gravity, what we don't know is what stops runaway collapse. No theory of quantum gravity at the moment can predict or produce stability.

This probably answers the question for someone with more knowledge of QM than I have. I can’t make the link between being a spin 2 boson that will self interact, and being able to – seemingly – violate conservation of energy.

I couldn't explain that link to someone else, and unless I can do that I don't consider that I understand whatever it is.

Perhaps we could take one step at a time.

Assume our theory of gravity includes gravitons, which are the particles that mediate the gravitational force.

If this gravity gives rise to more gravity, would that not mean that graviton A must be able to give rise to graviton B, such that the energy of A+B is greater than the energy of A alone?

There never was nothing.