Originally Posted By: Bill S.
Water pressure smoothes out the wake; why would vacuum pressure not smooth out the spacetime distortions?

Well two things

1.) You haven't introduced a vacuum pressure so far? Space has vacuum but no-one has ever measured a pressure because of next point.
2.) Vacuum pressure requires a positive pressure to already exist and you remove something in layman terms.

For the record the measured vacuum pressure in space near earth is 3x10E-9 Pascals and that is positive caused by the few stray particles and it is the wrong way it's going to keep spacetime curved.

You need a negative pressure so any ideas?

In meantime a hint: casimir force.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casimir_effect

Quote:
The Casimir effect can be understood by the idea that the presence of conducting metals and dielectrics alters the vacuum expectation value of the energy of the second quantized electromagnetic field.Since the value of this energy depends on the shapes and positions of the conductors and dielectrics, the Casimir effect manifests itself as a force between such objects.

Casimir is again the idea that deforming a field involves energy and creates a force within the field. We know electomagnetic fields do it we can measure it and it's fully resolved with quantum electrodynamics.

Sorry had to bring QM in Bill G will be on me whistle

Last edited by Orac; 07/31/15 06:38 AM.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.