Worth a read from Sabine

http://backreaction.blogspot.com.au/2015/09/loops-and-strings-and-stuff.html

She has come around to the same point and problem Lubos Motl put me in when I wanted QM and a classical theory of gravity. I can have one or the other but not both. Strangely I probably end up exactly where she is that I still don't believe the string theory story but the mathematics of it may be very useful in making predictions.

We all complain string theory can be a theory of anything but that is factually not true it CAN'T ACTUALLY make the standard model, it predicts it has to be wrong. The anti-string theory lobby have had great delight in pronouncing string theory dead because of that fact and as the standard model results initially strengthened. Now we appear to have cracks in the standard model and if it drops back to a string theory model the payback on the anti-string lobby will be large. There will be certain people like Peter Woit going for cover.

Lubos would have both Sabine and My head stuck up on a pole as a warning to other scientists but it is the case we can always be convinced by a compelling argument.

Lets see what the next results show and I will give you my thoughts.

Last edited by Orac; 09/03/15 03:13 AM.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.