I had the same reaction smile

I will give you the background it comes from Quantum Information Science and I thought you might pick up the problem they were trying to understand and badly propose a solution to.

Ok this problem exists in both classical physics and quantum mechanics with solids. The question is how does a solid hold it's shape and volume given the fact it actually moves around with expansion and contraction. Having a rigid lattice structure does not solve the problem as you input or remove energy to flex the structure, that energy when restored must result in the structure returning to original position.

In solids the expansion and contraction may not be the same rate in every direction (even rate of movement is called isotropic). So as you cool the object how does it work out how much energy to return to each area. Think about cooling one end rather than the body as a whole and yet you get the same result when you let it reach equilibrium.

In classical physics you know the first order approximation as Hookes law
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hooke's_law

So one of the current interests in QM is to derive Hooke's Law on a microscopic level inside QM.

Note it is a "law" not a theory in classical physics there is no real complete explaination of why it works all you can do is a lot of hand waving and speculation. At school level you claim the energy just goes into the interatomic bonds (that is lie) wave hands and quickly move on. Teachers may need to make sure they have sent any smart students on an errand before discussing.

In QM the area is called Density Functional Theory (DFT) and as you see it's a theory not a law.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Density_functional_theory

I take it they are trying to adapt DFT into Quantum Information Theory but I am not convinced that model really works smile

Coming from a science modelling background lets just say there are models and then there are models.

Mind you, I choose to maintain my body shape by a highly efficient algorithm does sound cool laugh

Last edited by Orac; 08/26/15 02:33 AM.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.