Remember: I am not giving an answer and there is no right/wrong from me. I am simply looking at the logic of your responses and ultimately whether I can believe your theory.

Originally Posted By: Bill S.
It doesn’t. Gravity is not a force, it is a feature of the geometry of spacetime. Spacetime is influenced by the presence of the mass of the black hole; not by anything that has to escape from it.

So how does it interact with matter and know when to deform ... divine perception(god tells it)?

Being facetious but it highlights the problem there has to be an interaction which you refer to as influence.

Go back to your rubber sheet and ball example the deformation is created by the mass. The mass is opposed by the rubber tension of the runner stretching and that gives you the proportionality that a heavy mass deforms more than a light mass.

Now go back to the gravity example there is proportionality. You may care to think about what are the other possibilities besides proportional and why is proportional selected?

So what you deem as an influence must (a) come out of the black hole and (b) create a proportional response to mass/distance which we write as a formula.

Gravity does not travel. What travels is information about the presence/nature of the mass in question. Exchange of information is limited to “c”.

If gravity does not travel how does it act at distance and how can we even do the experiments to measure its speed?

I sort of get the information bit as that is very QM but you lost me with how something that doesn't travel have a speed at all.

I am guessing you are going to equate "information" to energy along the lines of QM?

If the centre of a black hole is a singularity, this is defined as a point where spacetime curvature is infinite, so gravity is infinite. Obviously, spacetime could not become more curved, and the area of infinite curvature must be infinitesimally small, so it is self limiting.

Think more carefully about what you have said gravity is going to reach infinity smile

So we are back to our problem why doesn't the universe get instantly sucked back into the infinite gravity, what stops it?

I guess I could say the universe is a positive infinity and try and balance it but even then I am seeing an issue. Supposedly how many black holes are there in the universe?

To me the logic ends up at one extra big infinity is offset by lots of small infinities ... not sure I like this sort of maths smile

The fact your value can drop to infinity still leaves me questioning proportionality, why doesn't a bit of matter create gravity that instantly drops to infinity? Why does it require a lot of matter to produce the infinity?

I have a much deeper more technical problem with your answer but lets first clear the simple ones.

Last edited by Orac; 07/05/15 04:05 AM.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.