Originally Posted By: Bill S.
Thanks Orac. A few years ago I was trying (in my low-tech, hitch-hiker way) to argue that causing and maintaining spacetime curvature must involve energy exchange. I was being shot down from all angles. It seems that a more devious approach can elicit quite different results. To be fair, I don’t remember if you were among the shooters, but I have my suspicions. smile

I can say I hope it would have not been me unless I really didn't understand what you were saying or had a bad hang over. If it was me I was wrong and I apologize because I could not have been more wrong, Einstein says you were right and I accept it smile

You may officially give me a hard time if I got it wrong and tell me to go fix up the rest of physics I just broke laugh

Here is what you were asking a more technical way
http://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/70993/how-energy-curves-spacetime
Lubos's answer is the most technically correct and he even tacks in the local feedback but I agree the most voted answer is the best layman answer, and best layman formula ever that says basically says what you did in the statement above.

You were right at least until I or someone else can disprove GR anyhow smile

I am hopeful you get the bit about why the tensor can't be measured directly as anything but zero but it will be very obvious in your surface gravity of a black hole at the event horizon you were doing. Bill G I don't think gets that by his answer to that problem and as I warned you the answer to that problem is actually funny.

Last edited by Orac; 07/28/15 12:18 PM.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.