Originally Posted By: Bill S.
I don’t have theories; I lack the necessary maths/science to formulate one effectively. However, I’m willing to have a go at an idea. If nothing else, I can learn from having it dismantled.

You don't need maths/science to formulate an effective theory that is layman thinking. Einstein for example actually wasn't that good at mathematics he needed his old school teacher Hermann Minkowski to actually do the mathematics for GR. What you need is concise logical idea that holds together. I rarely ever use mathematics to "prove" anything even with experts. You should remember my exchange with PMB, he wasn't happy but I got him to show you the real problem not the problem via some mathematical abstraction. I often use mathematics to find problems but once you identify the problem it's usually easy to then work out an experiment or result that will falsify an idea.

Why do we not have runaway gravity?

This is the wrong question; it should be, “Do we have runaway gravity”. This has a straightforward answer: “Yes”.

Cool so now we have a working concept.

The range of gravity is infinite, so however far apart the galaxy groups become, gravity will eventually catch up.

You don't have a problem with this the whole range is infinite thing? Remember that means gravity has to propagate outwards as a negative attractive force like electric charge.

Is there an advantage over that formulation over doing the QFT thing and inverting it and putting a field everywhere and get rid of the infinity propagation, just a question and thought.

This may be indistinguishable from the closed universe concept, but it has nothing to do with the basic geometry of the Universe. It is runaway gravity, caused by the fact that gravity creates more gravity, so gravity will eventually overcome any basic geometry.

Okay I would like you to read an article from Ethan on Dark matter.
Strangely ignore the DM stuff and concentrate on understanding the normal matter behaviour.
https://medium.com/starts-with-a-bang/as...es-c5b6d90b1883

It hopefully will ring some bells.

One may also question if a big bang is possible under your idea, what would cause the matter to spread if it was already clumped in a big bag scenario with gravity as you describe?

Last edited by Orac; 08/11/15 04:12 AM.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.