Originally Posted By: Bill S.
1. ... I think we believe what we believe because that is what we need to believe...
2. ... open minded discussion, tends to have the effect of strengthening those beliefs.
3. I think it would be an interesting exercise if Rev and TT were to change sides and each defend the other's viewpoint
Stimulating thoughts, Bill. I respond:

1. Belief? Faith? As I understand it, "believing in God" without evidence, is like having a strong wish--wishful and child-like thinking--that there is a god. It is nothing more than an opinion. Faith has a similar meaning. In this sense of the words: As a unitheist I do not believe, and I have no need to believe, that there is a god, or gods.

THE UNITHEIST THEORY (explanation of G0D)
This theory, which includes the idea of G0D as behind TOE is built on the solid somatological foundation we call evolution. As a theory it definitely does have a role to play in science and stands to be accepted, or rejected.

The physical, mental and spiritual connection came together in the 1930's and 1940's with the mathematical and philosophical writings of A.N. Whitehead, a mathematician, a philosopher and a friend of Bertrand Russell--an atheist in so far as he rejected the god with dimensions, as do unitheists. Interestingly, Whitehead was obviously a unitheist. He collaborated with Russell and wrote PRINCIPLES OF MATHEMATICS.

UNITHEISM AND THE PROCESS THEOLOGY OF A.N. WHITEHEAD
Whitehead then went on to develop process philosophy and theology. Later it was developed by the Rev. Charles Hartshorne and called panentheism. Out of this came the simpler and less-confusing term unitheism (See the group on Facebook, now 40 members, started by Warren Farr, an artist and me just a few weeks ago) http://www.facebook.com/groups/unitheism/

To evolution, unitheism adds the dimensions of mind and spirit. And why not?

Along with a new physics it is apparent that a new psychology--especially since the re-discovery of pneumatology (William James, Karl Jung and the like)--is pointing the way to our evolving, mentally and spiritually and not just bilogically.

To those who say: "I believe in God.", I say: I respect your beliefs as I do your opinions.

However, if you expect me to take them as evidence of a valid and serious theory (explanation)--like, for example, the theory of evolution--you will need to present your thesis, do the research and experiments necessary, and publish the evidence, the proofs, for all to see.

2. When I was very young, I believed, very gingerly (because of the pain and trauma I suffered in my early childhood), in what I was told was called God.

When I lucked out and got to university, open-minded discussion eventually led me stop believing and to start theorizing (looking for explanations) to find the best possible explanation for the existence of what we call the cosmos and all that is within it. I am very interested in following those who--using the LHC--large hydron collider, at the CERN--center for nucelar research (on the Swiss/France border)--are theorizing about the TOE--theory of everything.

See the book, THE UNIVERSE ON A T-SHIRT, by Dan Falk. http://www.danfalk.ca/universe-on-a-t-shirt-the-quest-for-the-theory-of-everything.

In my opinion, the TOE and G0D, now in the form of a company, G0D & Co., unLTD is in the business of understanding the nature and function of chaos, out of which it has already demonstrated--just take look at the earth and the cosmos--that mass is possible.

Anyone--with even a quantum of agape-based love, or good willpower, to contribute--is now welcome to join G0D & Co., unLTD. in the eternal process of creation.

3. Defend TT's position? I wonder why he has stopped signing in as a genius? Other than that, I have very little idea what his position really is.

TT, are you connected with any kind of Christian group--large or small? What is your main ideology (set of doctrine, body of opinions)? I assume that Ellis still is an open-minded atheist, eh Ellis? What of the other readers?

Me? I repeat: I am a unitheistic theorist. My empathy, agape-love--good willpower to all.

Last edited by Revlgking; 01/07/12 09:48 PM.

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org