Originally Posted By: TheFallibleFiend

I'm not sure I understand the options you've laid out.

I would say,

1) There is no God.
2) The universe IS God.
3) God set up initial rules and everything afterward is on auto-pilot.
4) God set up the initial rules AND interferes periodically.
5) God set up the initial rules AND consciously wills everything that happens.

You eliminate options 1 and 2, and combine options 4 and 5.

There are other sub-options.

So lets take them 1 at a time

1) There is no God. So therefore everything must make sense so science is the story and we do not need consider god.

2) The universe IS God. Then there is inherently no understanding possible. Again science and GOD are not in conflict. It does beg the question as to why we are allowed or exhibit the free will to study something that we can never understand ... torment us ... the devil????

3) God set up initial rules and everything afterward is on auto-pilot. Again science can follow the rules everything should make sense without needing to know GOD exists and ultimately we may infer GOD must exists because of the rules.

4) God set up the initial rules AND interferes periodically. So we should be able to follow the laws and rules and see the discontinuities. Again via number 3 above we may even be able to infer GOD exists because of the interferring.

5) God set up the initial rules AND consciously wills everything that happens. Then we study science because GOD wills it to be so.

So following each of groups I come to the same conclusions science does not need to concern itself with GOD or we do science because GOD wills it to be so.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.