Originally Posted By: Bill S.
... I think the question has to be asked again:

What does anyone know about God that can be shown to be knowledge rather than belief?
I think of it this way: Whether I do it or not, I feel that the fact that I will to do good, more often than not, is evidence, and knowledge, that I am conscious of what I call G.O.D. The evidence? This makes me a better person.

BTW, it should be obvious that good people do more social good than those who are not. Good science, like good religion should be working together on developing and distributing somatic things--good food, clothing and shelter--that will help us be better people. And, please make us aware of the evil that false religion and science used for evil purposes can do.

If I were not a god-conscious, moral, law-respecting, and humane human being, I would probably be an instinct-driven amoral, sub-human psycho and/or sociopath, incapable of being humane. So lock me away and look after me, for life. Other than provide jobs for the prison industry--a big one in the modern world--what good would this do for the world?

Quote:
DO YOU REMEMBER THE OLD SONG:"DOIN' WHAT COMES NATURALLY"?
Nature lovers, most of us love what we call the animal kingdom and other nature-based kingdoms. But how many think we should all go back to the "good old days" when there were no human-made laws?

John, in his letter, says that "God is love". Think about those two nouns for a moment: God (absolute good and highest value) and love (agape--the will to do good)--the stuff of religion at its best.

Both are without somatic dimensions. They cannot be analysed and measured by science in the same way we can measure things.

But does this mean that they are of no knowledge-based value?

Take that which is god-like and love-like away from society and I will guarantee that in no time we will notice and KNOW that there is a difference. There will be obvious and easily measurable differences in all that we say and do, and how we interact with one another--politically, economically and socially.

Of course there are religious hypocrites, but do those who rant against all religion and recommend irreligion as a cure for war and the like ever stop to ask themselves: What was the state of justice, morality, peace, mercy and the like before beings with a humane consciousness evolved and created religion--the grandfather and grandmother of philosophy, science and art?

Last edited by Revlgking; 10/15/11 05:43 AM. Reason: Always a good idea!

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org