Orac, thanks for your comment about my recent post in answer to your interesting and valid question:
Quote:
Does god have a role in science?
I have already said that I agree that there is no god, that I know of, who has a role in science. But, with tongue in cheek I add: Perhaps there are scientists--particularly those who happen to be clergy--who would like the rest of us to worship them as gods.

Take note: God is not the same as god
Many larger dictionaries--for example,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God --agree that there is a difference between the meaning of the two words, God and god. 'God' (with a capital G) means the one deity in the monotheistic religions in question.

However 'god' (without a capital g) is a common noun that refers to any deity of any religion, or set of religions. It can even be used to express awe--My god! Or as a curse--goddam!

For example, if I say 'God is great!', I'm talking about one specific deity. God can be used as the English translation of any or all one God of the monotheistic religions like, for example, Judaism, Christianity, and Islam.

Most believers--and I am not one such--do tend to believe and think of God as the one lord and almighty king, the one who knows it all, is present everywhere and has the almighty power to set up his kingdom on earth. This is what prompts atheists, and even skeptical believers, to ask: If this is such a one true and supernatural God with all that power, what is he waiting for?

Unitheists have such a different concept of what the god-hypothesis is all about we have to use a different terminology. The term I like is G.O.D--that which is good, opportune and desirable for all of us--the doing of good deeds, not just the believing in dogmatic creeds. Surely atheists are interested in deeds, not creeds. G.O.D. then does not point to a super being who plays roles.

G.O.D., IMO, is the transforming power of will-based love (agape) active in the bodies, minds and hearts (spirits) of people. G.O.D. is the message, the knowledge, the art, and as part of the process we all experience as life. This process prompts thinking people to ask ourselves, frequently: What is the meaning and purpose of life? What does it mean to be human? When life IS full of pain and suffering, what OUGHT we to DO about it? Scientists! Now it is your turn.

THE ROLE OF MORAL, ETHICAL AND LOVING SCIENTISTS As to the nature and function of life and the universe, and how it works. I am happy to leave this role to the scientists--some of whom, as I said before, happen to be ordained clergy. BTW, who are the scientists, retired or otherwise, in this section of SAGGO?

Last edited by Revlgking; 10/18/11 05:24 AM. Reason: Always a good idea!

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org