Originally Posted By: Bill S.
... If we are thinking of God as, not just the life of the cosmos, but the principle of existence, then in studying science we are studying God. Without such a God there would be no science, no scientists and nothing to study; but that is belief dependent.
Speaking only for myself, here is an expanded version of what I said in the philosophy thread
Quote:
I have no problem thinking of and accepting G.O.D.--physically, mentally and spiritually speaking--as the eternal and infinite here and now. And not just as a matter of blind faith, or belief.

I AM PROUDLY AGNOSTIC ABOUT MANY THINGS
Of course--in the same way that I am sure no wise scientist would ever claim to know all there is to know about, even one particular science, not to mention the whole of nature--I would not dare claim that I know all there is to know about the G.O.D. principle.

But I do "know" some things, as Carl Jung put, and the opportunity to experience and know more and more is too grand a thing and too good an idea to miss--just because I have allowed myself to be a victim of my stubborn pride by wanting to do it all by myself. Sure I want to be consciously involved, but I no longer foolishly resist the abundance the Universe has to offer.

HUMAN BEINGS CAN BECOME HUMANE BEINGS
It is my opinion that, depending on the choices we, as a rational, conscious and aware human beings, make, we are free to focus on what we call the here and now and create what we call the future. Then the NOW will tend to evolve, to unfold, towards that which is good, greater than just good, opportune, orderly, desirable and delightful, whatever.

Of course, at the same time, I am free to reject the good, etc. I am free to let my life be filled with that which is garbage, ghastly, gruesome, odious, obstinate, divisive and diabolic.

=========================
PS:From Wikipedia and the CBC

Rin Tin Tin: The Life and the Legend is a book by Susan Orlean, which was published in 2011 by Simon & Schuster. The first RTT was rescued from death by an animal-loving soldier in WW I. RTT's first role was that of a wolf. In the 1920's and 1930's RTT (I remember seeing some of the first movies), who could act better that many human beings, made a fortune for his owner and, more than once, saved his studio from bankruptcy and employed thousand of people. Later, "he"/"she" (offsprings) went on to TV fame.

The book is a non-fiction account of Rin Tin Tin. Blogcritics praised the depth of the book and wrote that "It was fascinating to read about the 16 million animals deployed in World War I as scouts, messengers, carriers of medical supplies, and sentries...."

Alaska Dispatch put it in its "20 new nonfiction reads for fall", calling it "a must-read book that is both an excellent piece of cultural history and a remarkable story of the animal-human bond."

DON'T WE ALL "CREATE" DOGS IN OUR OWN IMAGE
In an interview about this book, on the CBC (our public radio station) this AM, the author pointed out that during WW I, the Allies of course trained the dogs to serve their purposes and the Germans trained them to serve theirs. When, in 1933, the Nazis took power, of course they made sure that the usually gentle German Shepherd dogs became "good" Nazis.

BE AWARE! WE HAVE "DOGS" WITHIN US TO TRAIN
When I heard the story above, the thought came to me: We do the same with our gods. Sadly, we make our dogs (all pets) and our gods like us.

But the new theology does not deny that matter is sacred. Like the new approach of science itself, it simply requires that--despite the temptation to think only in terms of material dimensions--we have a new vision of what matter is and how it can be transformed, evolve into who, and what, we really are. Then we will go beyond, connect with and tune into that which is in through and beyond all material being.

Last edited by Revlgking; 10/13/11 05:43 AM. Reason: Always a good idea!

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org