I started this thread as mechanism and home for the titles discussion feel free to add in your thoughts.

Okay I am going to open up by saying I don't think there is a role based on the following premis

If we assume there is a god and he made the universe lets look at how he could make the universe

1.) He creates a set of rules and logic and the world runs remotely obeying those rules. I will call this the AI version of our world.

2.) He actively participates in each and every reaction and action at every moment and step of our world. I will call this the controlled program version of our world.

There really are no other versions possible it is the same options you have as you try to program a computer game or any computer program.

Any other sort of world comes down to some sort of weird randomness and in such an world science has no part because there is no logic for science to work with.

Now if we take version 1 from above and we have a world created by GOD but running under a set of AI rules science may never understand the start point but it can study and make sense of the rules. So you don't need to discuss GOD or even consider him to work with the rules. Ultimately you make infer from the rules there must be a GOD but for the act of studying the rules you don't need to know or care if there is a GOD.

If we take version 2 from above that GOD is involved in every decision then actually he can determine whether I am supposed to pursue the science or not. So indirectly if I am pursuing the science it is his will because I really don't have any free will.

I believe most religions adopt version 1 because it gives us implicit free will version 2 tends to get a little murky.

So that is my reasoning for seperating GOD from science feel free to chime in.

Last edited by Orac; 10/12/11 04:11 AM.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.