Originally Posted By: Bill S.
Originally Posted By: Bill6
A reference point relative to which a galaxy can be stationary or in motion is an adjacent galaxy.

Since the "adjacent galaxy" is also in space, my point still stands.

It has been determined that the Milky Way is hurtling toward the Virgo galaxy at around 640k-s. The Virgo galaxy is a reference point relative to which the Milky Way's location and rate of travel can be determined.

Space does not move!

There are well accepted theories that would not agree with this.

You may have noticed that I make every effort to directly respond to each and every one of your comments; a reciprocal attitude would be appreciated - space is a total absence of matter. Apart from what some well accepted theories have to say - what are your thoughts in this respect?

Perhaps you could cite one or more of those theories?

If space is expanding (BB)...

I believe that the expression is not that space is expanding but that the universe is expanding.

every part of space is moving relative to every other part.

On that basis - every part of space (more specifically a galaxy that it contains) provides a reference point relative to which another galaxy can be stationary or in motion.

If space can be distorted (GR), parts of space move relative to other parts.

I do not accept that space can be distorted. I am of the opinion that 'a curvature of space time' is nothing more than a fancy name for a gravitational field.

Neither 'space' nor 'time' possess any physical substance thus cannot be bent.

A total absence of matter cannot move relative to any total absence of matter.

A specific galaxy may be said to retain its location but according to the expanding universe concept all (most of) the other galaxies are moving away from it.

If a specific galaxy may be said to retain its location, every galaxy may be said to retain its location in space. If space is expanding, every galaxy must move away from every other in order to remain in the same location in space.

The 'specific galaxy' to which I refer is one that is in my reference frame ergo its location remains unchanged whilst that of the other galaxies does not.