Originally Posted By: Orac
The problem is we can show that we have never seen an absorbtion an retranmission at anything other than the original frequency ... quantum behaviour of the electron shell behaviour sort of demands it.

The quote from Wikipedia re the Pound-Rebka article posits an energy loss by the photon that has nothing to do with its original frequency nor that of the absorbing/emitting atom -

Originally Posted By: ”Wiki”
Normally, when an atom emits or absorbs a photon, it also moves (recoils) a little, which takes away some energy from the photon due to the principle of conservation of momentum.

Your response intimated that I had taken that quote out of context however the lines that you supplied made no changes to the context of that sentence.

Quote:
If it doesn't retranmit the photon the atom that absorbed it has more energy .. ergo it gets hotter. Ergo space not being a perfect vaccuum is also above absolute zero even in its futherest points due to the above.

According to the Wiki quote the atom moves when it emits its own photon and I am of the opinion that because it moves it incurs an increase in temperature.

There are no ‘furtherest points’ in the universe. All locations are equivalent.

Quote:
Unless you can cite an example where an atom absorbs one frequency and retransmits another based on energy drain while the atom was in the excitation state I am not sure where you are going with this.

I have already cited an example with the Wiki quote - above. The retransmitted photon loses energy in accordance with the conservation of momentum concept as the atom progresses from its excitation state.

Quote:
I am not trying to disinform or make any assertions here ...

There have been several claims in this thread that a reduction in the number of photons arriving here due to scattering explains redshift and although I have pointed out that this is a nonsense you continue to make that claim. As far as I am concerned this is an example of disinformation.

Quote:
I can't proove that it couldn't occur because you aren't breaking any physics laws but just pointing out you are asking us to belive something we have never seen and should have really if it were so.

We have seen the phenomenon - light from distant galaxies is redshifted. As to why this is so... we have the above explanation from Wiki.

I had hoped that perhaps an experiment (such as the one that I suggested where a beam of light is projected horizontally through a lake) had been carried out but presumably this has never been done and, due to the fact that it could introduce another challenge to the big bang theory, authorities will ensure that it remains untested.