Originally Posted By: Bill
Bill 6, You pick up on the equivalence principle,

The term 'pick up' implies a surreptitious application. I 'pick up' on the equivalence principle on the basis of its validity and relevance!

but you ignore one of the basics on which Einstein based both SR and GR. The measured speed of light is the same in ANY reference frame.

I previously pointed out that an observer located alongside the black hole adjacent light source (due to the fact that his measuring rods and clocks are physically affected by the gravitational field) will determine constancy for both beams however the far-distant observer will not!

Are you of the opinion that the relevant beams in my diagram (depicting an accelerating light source, ref below) will not travel different distances away from their source in a given period of time as determined by your clock?

<------------•---->

It doesn't matter where the light is coming from or what motion the source may have with respect to the reference frame of the observer it still travels at the same speed.

It is still measured as traveling at the same speed by the local observer but only due to the fact that his measuring rods and clocks are physically affected by their locations in a gravitational field.

Refusing to respond to this point does not invalidate it.

GR tells us, and the Wallops Island experiment confirmed, that clocks which are located at various altitudes will tick over at different rates and, obviously, the same thing applies to clocks that are at different fixed distances from a black hole.

Depending on their point of attachment - radially orientated measuring rods will either be stretched or compressed in length.

A local observer who conveniently chooses to ignore those facts will determine constancy for the respective beams of light.

If you agree that the respective beams will travel different distances away from their accelerating source in a given period of your time as per the above diagram - are you of the opinion that the principle of equivalence does not apply in the situation I depicted; that the respective beams will not travel different distances away from their source in a given period of time as determined by your (far distant observer) clock?

<---------------•----->

I make every effort to directly respond to all salient points introduced by others and would appreciate reciprocality.

You wrote that I "...ignore one of the basics on which Einstein based both SR and GR. The measured speed of light is the same in ANY reference frame." yet you seemingly choose to ignore the fact that Einstein stated in the introduction to GR:-

"...daß das Prinzip von der Konstanz der Vakuum-Lichtgeschwindigkeit eine Modifikation erfahren Muß."

(...that the principle of the constancy of the vacuum speed of light must be modified.)

There are two ways of modifying that principle - 1) The speed of light is not always constant and 2) the speed of light is not constant and, as Einstein points out in his book 'Relativity', the presence of a gravitational field invalidates special theory.

To the best of extant scientific knowledge - there is no place in the entire universe that is not permeated to some degree by gravity.

The MMX bears no relationship whatsoever to a discussion pertaining to the variable speed of light in a gravitational field ergo reference to same is nothing more than a red herring.