I think this goes back the Pound-Rebeka experiment and gives the theory a problem Bill 6

Quote:

If the photon's frequency and energy is different by even a little, the atom cannot absorb it (this is the basis of quantum theory).

Thats the proposed mechanism by which we lose photons when it goes through a media like your glass you mentioned and it gets hot. In this media we dont see "tired light" we see the same light minus some lost photons.

Might think and look around because I am sure there would be an experiment that could be done with a media to deliberately bleed some energy of the excited atmoic state of the media. Prediction would be you get less light (photons out) when you drain the energy out as opposed to a different frequency light which is what I am thinking tired light theory would predict if I am interpretting properly.

So something like an ant-laser (http://spectrum.ieee.org/semiconductors/optoelectronics/antilaser-invented) but where we are draining energy ... lets see what we can find.

Last edited by Orac; 07/26/11 09:48 AM.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.