Originally Posted By: Bill
Well, when I look at a picture of a light in a fog I can easily tell that the picture is blurred by the fog. So when somebody looks at a Hubble picture of a distant galaxy it should be pretty easy to tell if it has been blurred by matter in between.

Bill Gill

There is a difference between whether blurring takes place or not and the AMOUNT of blurring!

When you look at a picture of a light in a fog you are aware of the fact that there is a fog and that the image of the light is blurred by that fog. You might base the amount of blurring perhaps on other pictures involving less dense fogs or fog free instances however there has never been images of distant galaxies taken without intervening matter ergo the amount of blurring is, at this stage, indeterminable.

An undeniable fact is is that there is matter in outer space between us and distant galaxies and this mustcreate some blurring via scattering.

However I remain of the opinion that the tired light concept relates specifically to the frequency of light not its intensity (I trust I have the terminology correct).