Originally Posted By: Bill S.
Fortunately the OP takes no responsibility for the way in which a thread develops. I'm sorry to see the way this is going, though, and without any of the forum's regular "snipers".

Perhaps, like me, the forum's regular snipers feel that it's only worthwhile contributing if we've got something to contribute.

Originally Posted By: Bill S.
However, to take a positive from it; it's going to make me take another look at the whole idea of relativity. Just when I thought I was getting the hang of it. smile

Relativity's 'law' of the constancy and maximum attainable speed of light is a barrier against scientific progress in general and the conquest of space in particular.

Whilst SR 'allows' long distance travel based on its time dilation factor neither industrialists nor politicians are keen to approve the expenditure of trillions of dollars on projects that might take millions of years to generate profits.

We need to take another look at the whole idea of relativity and if my feeble efforts prompt others to do so then I'll be happy.

A major objection to the concept of a variable speed of light in a gravitational field is the fact that it presents a challenge to the basis of the 'big bang' theory - the redshift of distant galaxies.

There we go - another quantum thread shift.