To Bill 6:

Been kicking some thoughts on tired light around, I do like its simplicity but still struggling with a mechanism to make if fit all experimental observations.

Saw this article:

http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-08-manipulating-light-at-will.html

Thats details of the study of light through meta material where they can play havoc with the light while in the media.

One of the key findings .. which is the observation that is causing me problems believing tired light.

Quote:

When light passes through a material, even though it may be reflected, refracted or weakened along the way, it is still the same light coming out. This is known as linearity.

Now I note they can get a frequency shift by amplifying harmoics

Quote:

"For highly intense light, however, certain 'nonlinear' materials violate this rule of thumb, converting the incoming energy into a brand new beam of light at twice the original frequency, called the second-harmonic,"

To get a tired light redshift we would need to amplify the lower harmonic essentially halving the frequency.

I am not sure but my guess would be we are going to see too much redshift from a typical sun. Of coarse we really only have our sun to calibrate spectra against so there is some wiggle room here I suspect.

Going to go and look at what happens to spectra lines with harmonic amplification that may kill this line of thought but at least I have found a way to get redshift without defying Quantum mechanics so we have hope.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.