Originally Posted By: ImagingGeek

I've listed several - inability to compete, foreclosure, simple desire. Just because you ignore what I write, doesn't mean it wasn't written.

Forclosure is a minor one, so you say.

Inability to compete. OK, but only for a commercial farmer who cannot revert to subsistence living. And only if there are imported farmed goods which are even cheaper than the super-cheap local ones. Where could they be coming from? The 4th world?

Simple desire suggests he's improving his life, so it's a good thing. If it's a misjudgement then it's an information/education problem.

Ultimately I don't think the presence of a foreign factory in a 3rd world country causes a problem. Other things that commonly (but not necessarily) go along with it may be, such as foreclosures, cheap imports, reduced local economic growth, etc.

While you were on holiday recently, Bill S immediately worked out what I was trying to know, and offered some suggestions. But they only supported what I suspected anyway. Maybe I am right, maybe people should stop bagging sweat-shops since they're not doing any harm.

Last edited by kallog; 10/03/10 02:40 AM.