Originally Posted By: ImagingGeek

Sure it does - if anything it does more good than the other practices I engage in. It, after all, supports individuals

It may do more good. But key word was 'overall'. Doesn't it do a similar amount of bad elsewhere?

Quote:

Originally Posted By: kallog
It's like buying only from white-owned businesses. Maybe you do that too?

If you need to resort to insults to make your point, you've
already lost the argument...

That's not an insult. I was pointing out what people might (and do) consider their 'local community'. Lets see what else:
Your country
Your state/province
Your town
Your religion
Your race
Your friends
Your family
Your planet

They're all different ways of grouping people into communities. I'm trying to understand what's the fundamental goal you're trying to achieve. So can you tell me which of those 'communities' do and don't count, and why?

Quote:

But the flip side is that a nation incapable of feeding itself is enslaved to those who provide their food. Food is the oldest, and most profound, national security issue.

So is this the real reason? Then your 'local' food would be food produced in your country, even a distant colony under the control of your country.

Quote:

research, and spent some time in Africa. While there, I made a point of buying everything I could from local

But why?? If you wanted to support their food industry, why only do it while you're there? Isn't that quite arbitrary? Wouldn't a better strategy be to identify countries with low production capacity and preferentially buy from them, thus improving national security for those countries at greatest risk.

One place you might consider is China, with a disproportionately small amount of farming for its population. America has plenty of farms and hardly any people, so nobody need make an extra effort to buy their food.