Originally Posted By: kallog
Originally Posted By: Bill S.

would be a genuine international effort to help the red countries to improve their productivity and local sales; combined with short term support while that is made to work.

I think free trade is the answer. Agriculture is heavily subsidized and tariffed around the world. Without those distortions to the market, African farmers could have a competitive advantage selling to American consumers because of their low labor costs.

But compounded with much lower productivity (due to a lack of mechanization) and increased transport costs. And lots of 3rd world countries make billions selling cash crops to the west - hasn't helped their over all economy much. The problems in 3rd world countries are far more profound than can be solved by removing trade barriers.

Originally Posted By: kallog
But no. Americans (and Canadians) like Bryan want to look after their own, and don't care about people in other countries because they're not in the rich boys club.

Insults again?

The reality is I've devoted my entire adult life to curing diseases of the 3rd world - HIV, malaria, etc. I've spent years in those countries helping locals develop everything from local industries to local research facilities. I suspect that in the average year I do more to help out these people than you have in your entire life.

I simply don't subscribe to your pie-in-the-sky view of the world. The problems - and fixes - to the 3rd world are far more complex than anything in your apparent imagination.

Bryan

UAA...CAUGCUAUGAUGGAACGAACAAUUAUGGAA