Originally Posted By: kallog
Originally Posted By: ImagingGeek
We're doing the wrong things. Instead of helping build local businesses and economies, thus developing these nations, we're instead letting big multinationals who prey off of the low labour costs.

'prey'? An inappropriate word. Where I live we love it that big multinationals 'prey' off our low labour costs. We try to keep our currency low so we can be preyed on more. Oh and its making people steadily richer and richer! Sure there are local exporting companies too, which are a major part of it (and treat their workers even worse). But they can't do it all by themselves.

So you're basing your opinion on an n = 1? You may want to travel to a few other countries before deciding these companies are universally beneficial. My experience is the opposite - as is the opinion of the CETIM, UNDP and several other 3rd world development organizations.

Originally Posted By: kallog

So you acknowledge that international trade hasn't _caused_ people to be worse off in poor countries. Sure that may have happened, but it was for other reasons.

I never agreed to that. Both I, and several developmental organizations, make the claim that multinational corporations tend to impede the formation of local economies, pay poorly, and decrease the overall quality of life of local residents.

Total income is a meaningless measure of quality of life, which is probably why you concentrate on it. A more valid concern is the meeting of basic needs - something which has become worse over the past 50 years, and something which is partly due to MNC involvement in 3rd world economies.

Bryan

UAA...CAUGCUAUGAUGGAACGAACAAUUAUGGAA