Originally Posted By: kallog
If China was so industrialized, why do farmers still use oxen to plow their fields?

Because they are still in development. Even here, in the "highly developed" north america, total mechanization of agriculture took nearly a century from when the first mechanized instruments (steam-powered threshers) were introduced until nearly all famrming had converted to mechanized production (post-WWII). Given that China started industrializing in the 1950's, that would put an equivalent degree of mechanization (assuming the same course of mechanization) in about 30 years.

Politically it's one country, but if you separate the rich areas from the poor, you find the poor are 3rd world.

Kinda like detroit wink

Just because a country has destitute people, doesn't mean that the country itself is unindistrialized or 3rd world.

Either way, you can't explain the mechanism by which globalization takes otherwise happy and well-off subsistence farmers, and converts them to unhappy factory workers barely able to survive.

But I can and did - and provided outside sources which provide an in-depth analysis of those factors. You just didn't like the answers, so you ignored them. Long story short, concentrating on only the globalization factors:

1) Inability to develop local economies, due to their inability to compete with LMC's and imports,
2) "Predatory" LMC practices such as sweatshop-type labor practices, environmental damage, forced farm takeovers, etc
3) Removal of trade barriers which can otherwise be used to protect local companies & markets.

Just saying that it happens is of no interest. Sure it happens sometimes. But how? You don't know. I want to know, you can't help, so goodbye.

Why not read the citations I provided - they provide an in-depth analysis of the very factors by which globalization harms 3rd world nations.

Not that they don't say anything I haven't said here.

Bryan

PS: Since you're so sure that globalization helps the 3rd world, why don't you provide some outside evidence that is the case. So far, I've been the only one to provide such citations.

UAA...CAUGCUAUGAUGGAACGAACAAUUAUGGAA