Originally Posted By: kallog
Originally Posted By: ImagingGeek

I never agreed to that. Both I, and several developmental organizations, make the claim that multinational corporations tend to impede the formation of local economies, pay poorly, and decrease the overall quality of life of local residents.

Byran I'm not going get dragged into your insult tactics. Instead just tell me the reason for the above. Tell me once and for all in one message. Don't use examples, don't appeal to authorities, don't mention me, just explain the reason.

Its what I described before. The ability to meet ones basic needs is not dependent strictly on income. Farmers, for example, can meet their needs on (in theory) no monetary income.

The trend in much of the 3rd world has been towards LMC-industrialization (i.e. large, foreign companies move in to utilize cheap labor). The end effect is that many loose their farms (due to forced relocations, buy outs, inability to compete with corporate farms, urbanization, etc) and are forced to move to the city for low-paying manufacturing jobs - jobs which frequently pay less than the cost of living. What this means is that as these countries move from an agrarian to industrialized economy, many people loose their ability to meet their needs.

This is hardly a new phenomena. The history of the west's industrialization followed a similar track - people forced to move to cities ended up working for wages which were insufficient to meet their basic needs. Its the whole entire basis of the union movement, labor laws, etc.

The exact same thing is happening today in the 3rd world, and given that some countries figured out how to largely avoid this issue (Brazil, as an example. Kenya is also doing a good job [relative to its neighbors]).

Its simple - development of local industries and companies allows for the formation of a self-sufficient middle class. This is why so much development effort is going into things like micro-loans and local infrastructure development.

Originally Posted By: kallog

I've been trying to find this out the entire conversation but you have never been able to say.

I've said it numerous times, largely in posts #35942, #36110, #36133, #36185 and again in this post.

Originally Posted By: kellog
don't appeal to authorities

So what you are saying is you don't want evidence? The "authorities" I quoted are the two largest NGO's overseeing 3rd world development. They know far more than you or I ever could about the issues these countries face.

They both oppose LMC involvement in 3rd world economies, and support actions to build and develop local industries. And I'm sure you're somehow going to construe this as an insult, but I'll take the words of the experts over a pseudonym on the internet any day.

Bryan

UAA...CAUGCUAUGAUGGAACGAACAAUUAUGGAA