Originally Posted By: ImagingGeek
Once again, you've concentrated on one of the many problems at hand. Bribery is but one issue,

I've asked you many times for you reasons and you've only slowly produced a couple of them. Now you're saying even those are only small parts of it. Why not simply explain your reasoning? Or maybe you're read too many books and gained a general impression without actually working it out yourself.

I'm really tired of people saying "low wages, poor working conditions". That's the standard rhetoric of anti-globalization people but it really isn't a problem without somebody enforcing it. If I knock on your door and say "Hey Bryan, I have a fantastic job opportunity for you. 15 hour shifts, $1/day, no medical insurance, hazardous work. Quit your job and come work for me." Will you? No. But if I come with an army and drag you there, then destroy your home, perhaps you will. That 2nd part is certainly bad, but nobody can quite explain how it's done, or by whom. You say corruption is a small part of how it happens. What's the big part?

Quote:
open mind, and to learn from the very people who dealt successfully with the problem in the past.

Sorry but Brazil is only a sample size of 1. It doesn't count by your standards. Reading a book which supports your preconceived opinion is also not open minded.

Why do you think China has such a huge internal population migration? Farmers who left the countryside to work in factories. They weren't pressured into it, in fact the government makes it difficult for them - they're often not entitled to the same rights and services as local people. Yet they do it, they're paid poorly, they work hard, but they're very upset if they lose their job and have to go home. This may be a sample of 1, but it's the biggest example in the world, it dwarfs any mines or factories in Africa.

I still think, and you still havn't shown otherwise, that farmers in poor countries often don't have a very good life. That they actually prefer factory work, because however bad that is, it's better than what they had before.