Originally Posted By: ImagingGeek

Ironically, aid is one of the biggest problems in this

I was simply confirming what you'd just said. If you read my carefully chosen words without the blinkers of arrogance and assumption of an argument then you'd have noticed that.

Quote:

Originally Posted By: kallog
What aspect of globalization caused 'independent agrarian people' to become 'destitute'? Still no answer to that. Urbanization isn't an answer unless it comes with 'forced eviction', but that's a minor one.

I gave several answers, all of which you ignored. I will direct you to my post #36288 for the list. I also provided several academic papers that analyzed these factors in depth.

There you said it was caused by cheap goods undercutting local producers. That's not a problem for independent agrarian people who can use their own produce to support themselves without money. Farms are free if you inherited them off your parents, and them from their parents.

They're not free if the population is growing so people need to buy new ones. But population growth will occur anyway.

You're confusing "the way things were before" with "the way things should be". That's not the point. I agree industrialization is very good for people over the long term.

Quote:

You continue to confuse the difference between income and quality of life - the former is not a measure of the

No I don't. Blinkers.

Quote:

So basically you're saying that because you don't like my opinion, you are going to refuse to look at the factual base upon which that opinion is based.

They probably support your new argument that industrialization is better than not. I want something that supports your original point that subsistence farming is better than what's happened, and that it's because of selling goods overseas. Not because of any factors that would have happened anyway, or decolonization, or using the money to buy weapons, or anything that's the fault of the local people.

I just want a plausable chain of reasoning from "international trade" to "self-sufficient farmers can no longer operate".

Not from "international trade" to "local economic growth is impeded".

Last edited by kallog; 09/28/10 01:12 AM.