Originally Posted By: kallog
Originally Posted By: ImagingGeek

Sure it does - if anything it does more good than the other practices I engage in. It, after all, supports individuals

It may do more good. But key word was 'overall'. Doesn't it do a similar amount of bad elsewhere?

But by that rational, any sale is "evil". After all, unless you make sure to spread your money perfectly evenly throughout all suppliers of the product you are buying, you will deprive someone, somewhere.

I'm trying to understand what's the fundamental goal you're trying to achieve. So can you tell me which of those 'communities' do and don't count, and why?

My fundamental goal is to support those closest to me, where I am. Not one group, but rather a hierarchy:

Family > Friends > Region I am currently in > Country I am currently in > Everyone else

Quote:

But the flip side is that a nation incapable of feeding itself is enslaved to those who provide their food. Food is the oldest, and most profound, national security issue.

So is this the real reason? Then your 'local' food would be food produced in your country, even a distant colony under the control of your country.

Not my real reason - just a point worth making. A country that cannot feed itself is at the mercy of those who can.

Quote:

research, and spent some time in Africa. While there, I made a point of buying everything I could from local

But why?? If you wanted to support their food industry, why only do it while you're there?

Actually its much simpler than you seem to realize. I don't buy local when I travel because I'm trying to save the world, but rather because I consider it a common courtesy. They don't have to let me into their country - the very least I can do in return for the privilege of visiting their country is to support the locals while I am there. It doesn't matter if I'm in the richest county in the world, or the poorest.

It's no different than bringing a bottle of wine to a dinner you've been invited to. You don't have to do it, but it is the right thing to do.

Bryan

UAA...CAUGCUAUGAUGGAACGAACAAUUAUGGAA