Originally Posted By: Bill S.
That's absolutely right, Rede, but only at a superficial level. For example, 100 objects is a finite number of objects, you can, in principle, keep adding groups of 100, but the number will never become infinite. Why? The usual answer is that you would need infinite time, which you do not have. However, even that answer is superficial.

A deeper answer is that however much adding you do (even if you had eternity in which to do it) you would always have a number, and infinity is not a number.

But you can place an infinite number of objects in an infinite space. Of if you want to talk about time you can have an infinite number of finite moments in an infinite time. So if the universe is infinite in either space or time then there is no problem with having either a finite or an infinite number of things in it. So what you say is quite true, but there is still the question of whether or not the universe is infinite. And that we don't know.

I do know that I personally have a problem conceiving of the universe having a real beginning or end. I just can't quite wrap my head around the idea of an absolute nothing.

Bill Gill

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.