Originally Posted By: Orac
What, I am surprised ...that none have realized the better and correct phrasing of the question.

"Can there be such thing as a start to existence?"

I thought when Rev King entered the argument he would ask the question correctly. [ORAC. Here, as one individual, is my answer: For me, EXISTENCE BEGAN THE MOMENT WHEN I BECAME AWARE OF IT. The same is true for each of us. smile ]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Existence

Existence has been variously defined by sources. In common usage, it is the world one is aware or conscious of through one's senses, and that persists independently in one's absence. Other definitions describe it as everything that 'is', or more simply, everything. Some define it to be everything that most people believe in.

PAST, PRESENT, FUTURE in space and time (from Old English, TIMA).

Defining the meaning of 'time' is such an important concept that, in my World Book Dictionary, it takes up almost a whole page.

PROCESS PHILOSOPHY AND THEOLOGY
Can we imagine any kind of science activity--or for that matter, any kind of human activity--that would really make any sense whatever without the concept of processing in time? Without it, humanity, as we know it, simply would not be. Check out the work of Alfred North Whitehead (1861-1947)--a great mathematician, process philosopher and lay theologian.

THE BOTTOM LINE? Process philosophy and theology says to scientists: Go ahead, within creation, within the space-time continuum, go ahead and do the best work you can. But make sure that your motives are unselfish ones; ones that devoted to serve goodness and truth in the service of all humanity. Meanwhile, leave the fathoming of eternity and infinity to good, moral and ethical philosophers and theologians.

Check out the work of Whitehead and his friend and colleague, Bertrand Russell.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_North_Whitehead

OK, NOW I WILL BE PERSONAL. If you feel left out, feel free to put yourself in the drama.

Existence is my experience of space and time. It started the instant I was conceived (the same is so for each of us). Then came birth, and eventually I became aware of being aware. Because I experienced the deaths of my two older siblings--I think I was younger than five--my sense of awareness came early in my current life.

This ability we all have of being consciously aware of the NOW--the one in which we presently live, move and have our being, is the quintessential evidence of the reality of life, and that we are who we are within it.

Similarly, the ability to remember the past and to envision the kind of future we want, makes us, for better, or for worse, the kind of person we happen to be.

THE FUTURE
What of the future? It is, IMO, not something that we can predict. However, it is one that we, individually and collectively, can create. It will be what we will and work on making it to be.

To put it another way: The future I used to think of and dream about, is for me, the one I am in NOW--a rather good one of the kind that I would like others to have, BTW.

Therefore, if I want a better future for me and all of us--one that is filled with that which is Good, Opportune and Desirable--it only makes sense for me simply to keep on with the process of good willing, thinking, learning, knowing and growing, moment by moment from this NOW, this point onward. As Shakespeare put it: "There is a tide in the affairs of men, which taken at the flood leads on to fortune..."

Last edited by Revlgking; 01/25/14 05:16 AM. Reason: Always helpful

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org