Oh, come off it.

The Pope could call you on the phone and apologize personally and it wouldn't be enough for you.

You've said you are waiting for an apology for Pius XII looking the other way during the Shoah. That apology was made by Pope John Paul II, but was ignored by people like yourself too eager to show their moral superiority over the greatest force of good to exist today on this planet.

The church has made mistakes. I'm willing to bet you have too. The difference is that the church is willing to forgive. You prefer to hold a grudge.

I tell you that the Cathlic church and other religious institutions existing today help more people than all the secular organizations combined, and you sidestep it and point at what happened during its more corrupt periods.

You pretend to be trying to show your unbiased interpretation of fact, when you actually just continually dismiss anything good so that you can keep pointing at the past.

Quote:
And where are those very same churches when we ask for condoms to prevent disease and birth control to stem the flow of children who are destined for poverty?

An organization as big as the Roman Catholic church can't spin on a dime. Benedict is working towards reversing the ban on condoms even as we speak. But if he just comes out and reverses the church's teachings on birth control he risks splintering the church. That would do more harm than good. Instead, he must take small steps, one at a time, and show his followers who currently are against condom use that he is examining the issue closely. So he has ordered a study to be done to show the effectiveness of condom use in stopping the spread of diseases. Do you think he just did this so that he could slap the researchers in the face when they come back and tell him that they work? No! He did it so that he could begin to institute a much needed reform without looking like he's doing it on a whim.

Quote:
How could he possibly? Wasn't he part of the trinity? Wasn't he in on the plan? Do we have a case of schizophrenia going on here where 2/3 of the trinity are pulling the strings and 1/3 is clueless?

As much as Christ is God, when he was here on Earth it was as a man. After his resurrection he performed miracles in his own name. During his life before his crucifixion, he asked God to perform them for him or asked God to grant him the ability to perform them. He prayed constantly. Do you think he was talking to himself? No.

Quote:
This is part of my personal problem with much religious discourse. It asks us to not think too hard about what is behind the curtain.

You should think harder about what is behind the curtain. I do. An unexamined faith is useless faith. Faith should not be based on na?vety.

Remember Dan: Blind denial is as easy as blind faith and operates at the same level of validity. If you think you can get mad enough at God to make him cease to exist, then you should maybe go talk to an intelligent priest - preferably one better-versed in the field of Christian Apologetics than I - who can rebut your arguments with better expertise than my own.

w

Last edited by Wayne Zeller; 03/26/07 08:46 PM.