This is where we came in, a week ago, isn't it? My answer is "no difficulty", if you include in your definition of 'environment' all possible variables both internal and external. The internal should include any normal process or disease process that may influence our state of mind. For example, damage to part of the frontal cerebral lobe can limit emotional responsiveness and compassion; and, as we've read in another thread, stimulation of the 'God Module' might also have a dramatic effect. The entire endocrine system may also be an influence. I'd say the entire physiological machine, as an integrated, interactive, interdependent whole has an influence; not just the genes. Then there's the external environment. Particularly important might be human relationships and interactions - hero worship, attraction, charismatic influence, dependence, social role, family role - all part of the flood of data that may modify the condition of the individual, and modify his attitude, behavior, philosophy and beliefs. Then, of course, culture and education.

Put all that together, and if you can call it 'our genes and our environment', then I can agree with the proposition. Otherwise, I guess not.

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler